Content marketing and copywriting are two concepts that, sometimes, are hard to tell apart. They are not the same; however, they should work together.
Copywriting vs. Content Marketing
Theoretically, separating these concepts is fairly simple. Content marketing is about creating and sharing content that is free and valuable. The goal is to draw people in and turn prospects into customers and customers into consistent buyers. Copywriting, on the other hand, is done to get the readers to react a certain way, whether it’s purchasing something, clicking on a specific link, or subscribing to your email list.
Content marketing is blogs, podcasts, and email autoresponders.
Copywriting is sales pages, ads, and direct mail.Source: http://www.copyblogger.com
Although content marketing and copywriting are two separate concepts, they are not mutually exclusive. They need each other.
How Content Marketing and Copywriting Work Together Gracefully
Before we move on, there’s another term we need to understand: content. No, it’s not the same thing as content marketing. The whole point of content marketing is to attract people to a particular destination within your site, while content is everything and everywhere. There’s sales content, event content, customer service content – all kinds of content. Don’t waste good copy by copywriting without content, or by producing it without copywriting.
Remember, copywriting is the art of convincing your reader to take a specific action.
Use effective copywriting
- Write interesting headlines
- Clearly communicate to your readers how your content is relevant to them
- Let your readers know what you want them to do next by including calls to action
Keep producing great content
- Write for readers first and then make it search engine friendly
- Be generous with your content
- Refrain from making your content look like an ad. Make sure you produce readable content that provides value to your readers, even if you’re advertising
The connection is precisely that… Use effective copywriting, while you keep producing great content.